An industrial tablet computer, also known as an industrial all-in-one PC or an industrial computer, is an industrial control computer used in an industrial environment. It has similar component functions to commercial tablet PCs. Therefore, both industrial tablet PCs and commercial tablet PCs have two architectures on the development platform, namely X86 and ARM platforms.
What is the difference between the X86 and ARM platforms? For ordinary consumers, you may not know this, but for the industrial tablet computer industry, the difference between the two is relatively large, then the X86 architecture and ARM What is the difference between the two architectures? Let me briefly analyze it for you.
1. Power consumption: The development ideas of the two architectures are different, and the X86 meets different applications and different fields as much as possible. So it has always advocated performance and speed, and of course, based on the balance of energy efficiency, its power consumption cannot be very low, although there is a big gap compared to ARM. But over the years, Intel has been working on high performance and low power consumption, and it has had good results. The development of ARM is to meet specific applications, it has strong specialization in specific fields, and it also has large characteristics in hardware.
2. Performance: The X86-based computer, after more than 30 years of development, is much stronger than the ARM platform in terms of performance and production technology. The advantage of ARM is not its powerful performance, but its efficiency. ARM adopts RISC instruction set, which is at a disadvantage in completing comprehensive work, but in some applications where tasks are relatively fixed, its advantages will be played very well.
3. Scalability: The X86 architecture is connected to the expansion device in a “bridge” manner. Especially after years of development and accumulation, the convenience, stability and cost control of its expansion have been done very well. On the other hand, ARM connects the CPU with peripherals such as data storage through a dedicated data interface, which is generally determined at the time of design and difficult to expand later. Therefore, the ARM architecture is adopted, and the principle of “enough is enough” is basically pursued.
4. Software development and transplantation: The system of X86 architecture was launched early, and user applications, development tools and supporting compatible work are very mature, so many cheap software development tools and third-party applications can be found on this platform. Therefore, the X86 architecture can greatly reduce up-front development costs and cycles. Compared with X86, the ARM architecture is stretched because of its hardware, system, compatibility and other limitations. Relatively speaking, there are relatively few supporting and compatible software, and the product performance is not as powerful as the X86 architecture.
5. System Compatibility: The X86 architecture and the Microsoft alliance have monopolized the personal computer operating system for nearly 30 years, forming a huge user group and deeply solidifying the usage habits of many users. At the same time, the development of its hardware and software has gradually formed a unified standard, and under this combined platform, some development tools are also becoming more and more popular, so the compatibility based on the X86 architecture is also unparalleled.
Almost all of the ARM architecture adopts the Linux operating system, and almost all hardware needs to build an operating system separately, which is incompatible with other systems, which undoubtedly restricts its development and application. Since Google launched the Android system, the ARM architecture has changed in the unification of the application market, because the Android system provides strong technical support for the ARM architecture.
The above are the 5 major differences between the X86 architecture industrial tablet computer and the ARM architecture. Through the introduction of Touch Intelligence, I believe that everyone must have a deep understanding. When purchasing an industrial tablet PC, whether to choose the X86 architecture or the ARM architecture, you must follow the Choose according to actual needs.